along the route of Greenville's Historic Downtown Walking Tour
for a glimpse into the activities and lifestyles of the people
who settled our city and made it prosper.
Street Markers feature
stories that focus on historic topics (rather than tracing
the history of particular locations).
why locals never tied their horses to lamp posts, how the
water company proved the new plumbing worked, and why Elvis
came to Greenville.
Texas Historical Markers
are site specific,
that is, they tell the story of a building or a place.
why the county has had seven courthouses, where the first
train steamed into town, and when local mail service began.
National Register of Historic Places
markers denote historic sites of national importance for their
architecture or historical significance.
Enjoy a walk through Greenville's history.
A printed copy of this brochure can be obtained from any Downtown
Numbers 1-14 indicate Main Street Markers
Letters A-L indicate Texas Historical Markers
Streetcars (2808 Lee Street)
In 1912, anyone with 5¢ could
ride the trolley to Graham Park
for a dance, a concert, or a visit
to the zoo.
That's Entertainment (2712
National celebrities performed
on stage at the King Opera House
before the movies came to town.
Sharecroppers (2702 Lee
Whole families planted and picked
the cotton crop, "sharing"
the profit with landowners.
Cotton Made Greenville Great
2703 Lee Street
The local economy depended on
cotton after the railroads opened
up out of town markets.
Boom Town (2610 Lee Street)
In 1900, Greenville was the largest
city in the area.
Hunt County Courthouse Dedication
(2506 Lee Street)
The dedication ceremony for the
included "Living Statuary".
The "statues" reappeared
for the county's 150th anniversary
7 Lights On (2316 Johnson
The state's first municipally
owned electric utility started
generating power in 1891.
The Cotton Trade (2501
Cotton drifted like snow around
the courthouse square as buyers
tested the fiber in farmers' bales.
Almost Pinckneyville (2402
The first name proposed for the
Hunt County seat was "Pinckneyville"
in honor of Texas' first governor,
James Pinckney Henderson.
Greenville Streets (2218
Navigating local streets in wet
weather was a challenge before
streets were paved.
All Aboard (2304 Washington
After the first train arrived
in 1880, Greenville grew from
a sleepy village to a prosperous
Water Works (2527 Johnson
Hand-dug cisterns provided the
city's first supply of water for
fire fighting and household use.
Carnegie Library (2713
The city's first public library
building opened in 1904.
Greenville Beats the Yankees (2714
The Greenville Majors made baseball
history when they beat the New
York Yankees in an exhibition
Greenville's First Railroad
The Missouri, Kansas & Texas train that arrived at
this depot on October 1, 1880 opened service by Hunt County's
first railroad. MKT "Katy" Depot, 3102 Lee Street
(National Register of Historic Places) History
of the Katy Depot
Greenville Herald Banner
This newspaper, founded 1869,
is the oldest business in Hunt
County. 2305 King Street
Old Greenville Post Office
Built in 1910, this building once
housed the recruiting office where
Audie Murphy enlisted. 2920 Lee
Greenville Building and Loan Association
Site of the state's second oldest
savings institution. 2900 Lee
Street (marker is on west side
Seven Courthouses of Hunt County
Traces the history of the county's
courthouses, from a log cabin
to the present building
The history of the present courthouse completed in 1929.
Both markers at northwest corner of courthouse lawn, Stonewall
& Lee Streets (National Register of Historic Places)
Note: The War Memorial west of
the courthouse steps was once
a drinking fountain
This granite marker commemorates
the founding of Hunt County. Southwest
corner of courthouse lawn
Central Christian Church
The towers and art glass in this
1899 Gothic Revival church building
are a downtown treasure.
2611 Wesley Street (National Register of Historic Places)
First Baptist Church
The congregation of this church
has met since 1858 and founded
8 other local churches. 2703 Wesley
City of Greenville
History of the city.
Municipal Building, 2821 Washington
Note: The bell in front of the building
once called fire fighting volunteers
from the city's first fire station,
located on Stonewall Street.
Historic Downtown Walking Tour was
created by The Greenville Main Street
Project and The Hunt County Historical
Commission to foster increased appreciation
of our downtown area's colorful past.